I have been troubled by the term/concept "center" for a while. Positions, much as time, are extremely relative, and I have wondered where one begins in order to claim a "center". Some cultures used to assume heliocentric and geocentric views of the heavens, and maintained the attendant views that the sun or the earth respectively, were the "centers". Scientific research and its outcomes disabused us both of these parochialism. We now accept that we live in a position in an ever expanding multiverse among legions of others. Considering the ambiguity of claims of political "centrality", one of the many reasons some citizens have decided to refer to themselves as progressives or, as I have, radicals is that they abhor this new "norm". Although, one may make similar assertions of the relative nature of both the latter terms, I think the pejorative political affiliations with these two terms are not fully developed and escape most of the disquieting accouterments of the "center". But I very well may be wrong on that.I am suspicious that "center" is the new euphemism for "norm/majority view" and that scares the hell out of me. There's more to be said, but I'll simply await your insights on what's been said at this point.
A Black Man's response to Black death
I've observed posts that represent attempts to deploy reasoned questions and/or arguments to explain the most recent killings of two Black men in particular. I'm convinced that these reasoned reflections on unreasonable behavior that is grounded in irrational presuppositions, more often than not, lead to an intellectual impasse at best. Reason and rationality are fractured in the presence of tragedy and our desire for explanation is best served through an embrace of human actions shot through with contradiction and unresolved conflict. I was struck with paralyzing silence in the presence of these tragedies and accepted this status as a measure of the profundity of these events. It is my humble suggestion that what we can do for each other is to actively love one another intentionally and directly, commit to extending the dignity and integrity of all without legislating their right to these virtues by our normative standards of acceptance. It is through these lived virtues that ...
Funny that you are reflecting on the term "center" because just the other day I was thinking about this amorphous "center" in regards to feminism. Great minds...
ReplyDelete