Well, I guess the crowning of Steve Nash as "lord and savior" will have to wait at least two more games. To be sure, he is a good player, but might he be put in a broader historical basketball context? I really do prefer the current mayor of Sac, CA -- Kevin Johnson, as an all-around better point guard in the Phoenix uniform. But let's add Isaiah Thomas (irrespective of his antics as a teammate and basketball administrator), Magic Johnson, Tiny Archibold, Sam Jones, Dennis Johnson, Mo Cheeks, etc. Brother Nash is good, but is ALWAYS a defensive liability. I'll say more later, but this is enough to irritate his fans.
A Black Man's response to Black death
I've observed posts that represent attempts to deploy reasoned questions and/or arguments to explain the most recent killings of two Black men in particular. I'm convinced that these reasoned reflections on unreasonable behavior that is grounded in irrational presuppositions, more often than not, lead to an intellectual impasse at best. Reason and rationality are fractured in the presence of tragedy and our desire for explanation is best served through an embrace of human actions shot through with contradiction and unresolved conflict. I was struck with paralyzing silence in the presence of these tragedies and accepted this status as a measure of the profundity of these events. It is my humble suggestion that what we can do for each other is to actively love one another intentionally and directly, commit to extending the dignity and integrity of all without legislating their right to these virtues by our normative standards of acceptance. It is through these lived virtues that ...
He used to play soccer. I believe that puts him above everyone you just mentioned.
ReplyDeleteExcellent point. He doesn't stop anyone on the defensive end and he would have gotten eaten up by those other point guards who could stop someone.
ReplyDeletePlus, he's also a product of the no-hand-checking era of today. I have not heard people talk about how players like he and Kobe are thriving in an era when you don't have defensive stopping teams like the Bad Boyz of the late 80s/early 90s and the Knicks of the 90s. Lets see these guys handle true GREAT DEFENSES!